CREW B IS WINNER OVER CREWS A AND C IN BASIN

TRIAL RACES PLANNED BEFORE WEDNESDAY

Harvard's University crew cut ten seconds off its best record of the year thus far when it rowed the mile and three-quarters course in the Basin Saturday in nine minutes and 20 seconds. The previous course record of nine minutes and 30 seconds, but five seconds worse than that set by Princeton a year ago, was made during the April recess.

The crews rowed at a stroke of about 32 per minute at the first, the third boat starting over the mile and three quarters course a few seconds before the Jayvees; which in turn was given a slight lead over the University boat. It was not until the mile mark that the first crew overtook the Jayvees, and just beyond the mile and a quarter mark that the University and the Jayvee oarsmen were able to overtake Crew C. The race ended in a wild dash for the finish as the first boat raised its stroke of 34 to 40 in order to beat the Seconds. The winners crossed the line three-quarters of a length ahead of the Jayvees and about a length and a half in advance of the third boat.

There were no changes in the seatings of the three crews. F. F. Colloredo-Mansfeld '32 stroked the first eight, J. E. Lawrence '31 the Jayvees, and M. R. Brownell, Jr. '30 the third shell. Coach Whiteside plans to have two more trial races between today and Wednesday, then to rest his men in preparation for the regatta in the Basin with M. I. T. on Saturday. That afternoon three races are scheduled. The two University boats will meet, following races between the Crimson and M. I. T. Jayvee eights, the two 150-pound boats, and the Freshman crews.