CRIMSON TAKES TWO WINS FROM RIVALS IN CHARLES RACES

Again Lose to Engineers Over Rough Course--1933 and "150's" Impressive in Victories

A powerful, hard-rowing Navy crew, never headed from start to finish, fought through the rough waters of the Charles River Basin Saturday to victory over the eights of Harvard, Penn and Tech. From their starting sport, which sent them well ahead of the other crews, the Midshipmen maintained a steady, grinding pace which kept them in the lead until the finish was reached, a lead which Tech but threatened at the last, and the other crews never touched.

Tech Jayvees Win

In the race preceding the final event, the invincible Tech Jayvees closed their season with still another victory, leading the Harvard Seconds by two lengths in their second defeat of the Crimson this season. But if two Harvard eights went down to defeat, two triumphed as well. The Crimson lightweights came across the finish line half a length ahead to Tech and three in advance of the Penn 150-pounders in the opening face: the Harvard Freshmen, in the style to which watchers have become accustomed, led a procession in their face, finishing a full six lengths ahead of Tech and all of nine ahead of the Penn plebes. The lightweights rowed the Henley distance; all the others were over the mile and three-quarters course.

The two winning Harvard crews performed in a manner to make their mentors, Coach Sullivan of the lightweights and Coach Bert Haines of the Freshmen, justly proud of their charges. At no time during their race were the first year men in danger of being overtaken, and in the 150-pounders event the Crimson oarsmen pushed steadily ahead until they had a half-length lead over Tech at the finish flags.

Harvard's loss in the main event was somewhat of a disappointment, since it is the Crimson's first defeat of the season. When, however, it is considered that both Tech and Navy are much heavier crews than the Crimson, Harvard's showing in the rough water of the Basin is by no means discouraging. To observers in launches following the race, it appeared that Harvard shipped a lot of water after passing the bridge; if that was the case, a higher stroke might have resulted in sinking the shell.

Navy Half Length Ahead

The Midshipmen finished half a length ahead of the Engineers, who had about a length and a half lead over the Crimson eight, if the respective times of the boats are considered. The Tech boat, which has improved mightily since it raced against Harvard two weeks ago, showed so much power in their final half-mile that it is not inconceivable that they might have beaten Navy, had they kept to their course. After passing the Harvard bridge, the Tech shell headed in for the wall, possibly in order to obtain better water, and came the last third of the course near the Esplanade wall. By this maneuver they apparently lost distance, although they were so far in, and Navy was so far out on the surface of the Basin, that it was hard to judge.

The times were as follows:

University--Navy, 9.11 3-5; Tech, 9.13 3-5: Harvard, 9.19 3-5: Penn, 9.37.

Jayvees--Tech, 9.26: Harvard, 9.34: Tech, 9.43 1-5 2-5: Penn, 9.54 1-5.

Freshmen--Harvard, 9.19: Tech, 0.43: 2-5: Penn, 9.54.

150-pounders--Harvard, 7.03 3-5: Tech, 7.05: 4-5: Penn, 7.12.