HARVARDIANA

Today another class of Harvard men become alumni. The mere fact that 1965 young men have been admitted into the varying degrees of the fellowship of educated men means little to the world in general, but to those particular individuals today's ceremonies stand for an imminent and momentous transition. It has been an occasion for much sentimentalising and cynicism, but in spite of the usual abundance of talk on both sides of the situation the Class of 1930 will in all probability maintain its equilibrium in the time to come.

The significant thing about this present Commencement is that more degrees were given than at any other time previously. In addition to this over thirty-six percent have received honors, more than ever before. The final distinction is that among those graduating from Harvard College there were distributed more degrees Summa Cum Laude than ever previously. With such statistics it would be more than difficult to be pessimistic about the trend of modern education.

And so the Class of 1930 goes out bearing the stamp of Harvard. The ancient traditions and customs that have always marked Harvard Commencements have lived on as fresh and vital as they were at their inception. And this latest group of graduates joins the "Ten thousand men" in the true spirit and glory of a past that lives on into the future.