Jungle Echoes

THE PRESS

An editorial from the CRIMSON, of January 6th, repainted in today's issues, urges that even though football meetings between Harvard and Princeton cannot for the present be arranged, this factor alone should not block the path to resumption in other sports. The Princetonian agrees and feels that most undergraduates here will welcome this proposal from Cambridge.

Last spring, during a six week period, the CRIMSON and Princetonian together investigated thoroughly the possibility of re-instating an old football rivalry. At the end of that time, they became amicably convinced that schedule difficulties and divergent athletic policies on one cardinal issue rendered this objective futile for the immediate future. Out of this joint investigation, however, came the definite and encouraging result that a cordial sentiment between Harvard and Princeton undergraduates of today has supplanted their onetime bitterness and that a restoration of athletic contests should recognize the obvious fact that Harvard and Princeton are natural rivals in every true sense of the world.

Since 1926, teams of the two universities have met on neutral grounds in intercollegiate tournaments or through the mediation of third parties. The triangular crew race between Harvard, Princeton and M.I.T., scheduled by invitation of the latter, is the latest of these instances, which are pleasant and desirable, but in no way capable of healing any breaches or fundamentally altering the status quo. We second the CRIMSON's motion that future meetings be held through the initiative for officials of the two institutions themselves. It is our opinion that negotiations in regard to football should be postponed until such date as a mutually satisfactory policy can be agreed upon. But, in the meantime, there appends no compelling reason, from the undergraduate viewpoint, for continuing a wholesale sacrifice of all sports to a dispute that began over one. To maintain a hands-off attitude for the sake of football incompatibility alone would seem a clear overemphasis of that sport. --Daily Princetonian.