SOCIALIST CLUB ISSUES PETITION TO CONGRESS

Banning From Mails of a Communistic Paper Opposed by Club--Freedom of Press Defended

In co-operation with the Intercollegiate Council of the League for Industrial Democracy, the Harvard Socialist Club is circulating a petition protesting against military training in the colleges and universities of the country. The Socialist Club has taken the stand that military training in all its forms seeks to idealize war, and is therefore inconsistent with the Kellogg Peace Pact. This petition together with similar ones that are now being circulated in other colleges will be presented to Congress the latter part of January.

The Harvard organization has also sent a formal resolution of protest to Postmaster-General Brown and to several other authorities condemning the recent exclusion from the mails of "The Young Worker," publication of the Young Communist League. The resolution states that while the club does not approve the propaganda contained in "The Young Worker," it "wholeheartedly deprecates the Post Office Department's disavowal of the freedom of the press."

At the same time it was announced that "The Socialist," fortnightly newspaper of the Club and of the Young People's Socialist League, has been suspended until after the mid-year examination period.