MIDYEAR EXAMINATIONS TO BE ABOLISHED AT YALE

NEW REQUIREMENTS FOR DEGREE ALSO ADOPTED

New Haven, Conn., Jan. 19--Mid-year examinations at Yale will be abolished beginning next year, Dean C. W. Mendell of Yale announced today. Several other important changes in the college curriculum that have been adopted by the University were also announced at the same time.

Among the other changes are new requirements for degrees, the inauguration of three reading periods throughout the academic year, and general changes in the methods of instruction.

The purpose of the changes is to emphasize the mastery of a subject rather than the acquisition of a certain grade, and will put the greater part of the responsibility for understanding the subject in the hands of the student. The new scholastic requirements will permit a student to be admitted to the University only after he has successfully completed the entire work of the Freshman year.

The changes, which are intended to weed from the college those men who are not working primarily toward a thorough and comprehensive education, has been passed by the Yale faculty and approved by the Yale corporation.

Dean Mendell's statement, in part, is as follows:

"Each student at Yale shall select not more than five courses each year and junior and seniors whose work is of quality grade may, with the written approval of the class officer or dean, elect less than five courses.

"A student will be admitted to the junior class in full standing only when he has completed successfully the entire work of his junior year and the same with the senior class entrants.

"The student will be recommended for the degree only when he has completed successfully the work of all four years and has received a grade of 27 or better in at least six courses."