ENGINEERING AIDS

It will be a source of relief to many future engineers to learn that the Harvard Engineering Society has established a system of graduate advisers. The system provides that two engineers, preferably Harvard graduates, shall render voluntary and gratuitous advice to men fresh from the Engineering School. Ideally the advisers will be men who have been out of the university for ten years or more and are fitted by experience to help young graduates.

Constant efforts are being made to help young people become acclimatized to strange and new conditions. The attempts made to ease the way after graduation are keeping pace with the endeavors to smooth the transition from preparatory schools to colleges. It is not unfair to say that the former should receive the greater emphasis because a wrong step taken at the beginning of a business or professional career is often irremediable. To prevent such mistakes is the task of the graduate advisers. They are in no sense to be considered employment agencies, but they can render signal service by informing the young engineers of the conditions that govern both the practical features of the profession, and the geographical territories in which they wish to practice.