THE PIERIAN SPRING

Despite the large subscription lists of contemporary literary magazines supposedly catering to an educated public, the actual literary significance of a good number of these periodicals has been lately on the wane. It has become almost necessary to forsake the traditional best in the magazine world it short stories, and especially articles, of literary finish are desired.

Whatever the cause of the decline, a number of magazines, once sincerely liberal, are now merely sensational. Publications discussing current events and world affairs do not seem to have fallen in with the movement. But among the magazines devoting space to literature and literary criticism, the quarterlies alone seem to aim high. Some of the monthly publications have openly turned native, and are now laboring under the naive principle that the raw facts of life are necessarily significant from a literary standpoint, regardless of composition.

Those who regard good writing as desirable might well consider the Harvard Graduate Magazine. Like other good quarterlies, it is now suffering from the disinterest in letters. With a comparatively small circulation and an aversion to popular advertising, it was recently in danger of being suspended. Fortunately, it does not now appear that this will have to be. A new editor has been appointed who promises well to uphold its excellent traditions. Seniors, after graduation, may find this magazine a notable addition to their list of periodicals.