THE WICKERSHAM REPORT

After more than a year of study the Wickersham Committee has arrived at some conservative but constructive conclusions. It agrees that the eighteenth amendment should not be repealed, that light wines and beer should not he allowed, and that the present enforcement is inadequate. But there is division of opinion on the question of revising the amendment. Some feel that enforcement is possible without any change in the law; others that revision is absolutely necessary in order to make the act effective. They generally agree, however, that, if revision is to take place, the amendment should give Congress power "to regulate or to prohibit the manufacture, traffic in, or transportation of intoxicating liquors within, the importation thereof into, and the exportation thereof from the U.S. and all territory subject to the jurisdiction thereof for beverage purposes."

This latter recommendation, although based on a supposition, is the most able opinion that the committee offered. It strikes at the root of the prohibition question. Under such a revised amendment the prohibition of liquor would depend on public opinion as expressed in Congress and could be exercised with a regard to the conditions of each community. In this way the majority of the people would be favorable to the system in use at any time. Only with this popular support is enforcement practical.

The other proposals, on which the committee was in general agreed, show a desire to stop once and for all the impractical ideas that are so widely held on prohibition. It is realized that repeal even if desirable was out of the question with a solid block of dry states in the South. Likewise, it is quite clear that light wines and beer even if desirable could never be obtained since the vote would be divided among three groups.

This report is doubtless a disappointment to many who hoped for a more dramatic conclusion to the 15 months of research. But it is as much as could be expected under the circumstances with the great disparity of opinion between the various members of the committee. In spite of their differences they were able to agree on some very beneficial recommendations.