A FLIGHT FROM CHAOS

The University, not having yet reached that adult stage in which it is quick to profit by mistakes, still seems to be innocent of the dangers of imparting its publicity indiscriminately. One of the chief offenders among the University departments is the Astronomical Observatory.

Whether or not the official bulletins and miscellaneous documentary announcements from this branch of the institution will ever contain facts important enough to draw the wrath of the press and humanitarian society down on the heads of the officials, is a question. Probably the majority of statements issued are wholly harmless. Nevertheless, this is of secondary instance.

The University is unwise in allowing any important publicity to be issued except through the regular channels. To say that the Observatory is partial in its favors to the press is, perhaps, giving the officials in charge too little of the virtue of generosity. But the neglect to treat all of the members of the press equally, has seemed to be deliberate; if that is so, it should be remedied. If the neglect of accredited members of the metropolitan journalistic family has been an oversight, that, too, may be remedied by using the official publicity department of the University.