AN ILL-TIMED DIVISIONAL

When the Junior concentrating in History and Literature hands in his last blue-book for the mid-year period, he cannot utter the proverbial sigh and turn to the lighter things of life, since in less than three weeks another more important examination awaits him. On February sixteenth the department of History and Literature has scheduled a divisional on the Bible and Shakespeare.

The chief objection to this is that it does not permit justice to be done to all students. One may have completed his examinations three weeks before and another a week and a half, thus allowing the former at least ten days more in which to recuperate from the mid-years and prepare for this examination. It is hard to see how, under this system, there is any clear indication of comparative abilities.

The department, doubtless, has good reasons for the choice of this date, but they are certainly not the obvious ones. If the intention is to stop cramming, it is not necessary to prevent adequate and equal review for all students. To postpone the examination for a month or more might not be practical, but the advancement of the date a week or two certainly could not present any real difficulty.