BOK COMPETITION OPENS WITH SHOW OF WORK ENTERED

Concerns All Over Nation Submit Their Work--Award Four Groups of Prizes in All

Over ten thousand advertisements, submitted by competitors throughout the United States and Canada for the Bok Advertising Awards, will be open to public inspection today at the reading room of Baker Library, in the Business School. This will be the only day in which the exhibit will be open to the general public, since tomorrow the jury for selecting the outstanding material in the collection will begin its deliberations, which will last until the end of the week. The winners will be announced at a dinner to be given in their honor at the Business School in the latter part of February.

Larger Show

The exhibition will represent 340 individual contributions, showing a gain of approximately 10 per cent over the exhibition held last year at the same time. Only work published between January 1, 1930, and January 1, 1931, will be considered. Prizes will be given in four groups as follows: 1. A gold medal, for distinguished services to the advertising industry; 2. Five prizes of $1000 each, to be awarded to the most outstanding individual advertisements, the most effective in text, in headline, in typography, and in the combination of these three elements: 3. Four awards of $1000 each, for the most successful advertising campaigns, including a national campaign for a specific object, a local campaign for a particular merchandise, an institutional campaign, and a campaign for industrial products: 4. A prize of $1000, for the research of the year conspicuous in furthering the knowledge and science of advertising.

Prominent Judges

The jury which will decide upon the awards will consist of the following men: John Bianchi, of the Merrymount Press. Boston; N. H. Borden, assistant professor of Advertising at the Harvard Business School; Walter Buchen, president of the Buchen Company, Chicago; Bennett Chapple, vice-president of the American Rolling Mill Company, Middletown, Ohio: M. T. Copeland, professor of Marketing at the Harvard Business School: W. A. Bart, director of advertising at the E. I. duPont de Nemours and Company. Wilmington, Delaware: G. C. McQuiston, advertising manager of the Westinghouse Electric and Manufacturing Company. East Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania: H. B. Quinan, art director for the Cromwell Publishing Company. New York: G. R. Schaeffer, advertising manager of Marshall Field and Company. Chicago: G. L. Sumner, president of the G. Lynn Sumner Company..Incorporated. New York: R. S. Vaile, Professor of marketing at the University of Minnesota: and P. B. West. advertising manager of the National Carbon Company. Incorporated. New York.

Annual Offer

The awards which have amounted to approximately $14,000 every year, have been offered annually since 1923 by a foundation established by the late E. W. Bok. journalist and philanthropist, for the best advertisements in certain established classes, submitted by any individual or organization. Last year the first prize was awarded to Cyrus B. K. Curtis of the Curtis Publishing Company, the four second prizes to the Batten, Barton, Durstine, and Osborne Company, Incorporated, to the Northern States Power Company, to the Westinghouse Electric and Manufacturing Company, and to the Newell-Emmett Company