FACTS vs. THEORY

Many people will doubtless oppose the bill which the Senate has just passed authorizing the distribution for relief purposes of 20,000,000 bushels of wheat which is now held by the federal farm board. It will be called a socialistic measure and a demoralizing influence on American labor. The fact that the distribution is to be carried on through an agency selected by the President will make no difference since it remains a grant by the government.

These declamations are both based on the theories that this act will create a precedent and that this will be bad. Such unsure grounds are not sufficient for condemnation. Economic and political theorists have been wrong before and they can be again.

On the other hand, there are definite facts to uphold the Senate in its action. Even the opposition will not deny that there is great suffering in the drought area and among the unemployed. The money that can be gained from voluntary contributions is very limited. The Red Cross expects to raise $10,000,000, but this is a more trifle when compared with the amount required for adequate relief. The government is the only agency which can provide aid on the scale that it is needed. It does not seem reasonable that theoretical arguments whether right or wrong should be allowed to stand in the way of the immediate relief which is so necessary in this orisis.