HOLY ONE

The re-emergence of Mahatma Gandhi on the political scene of India is an event of considerable moment. In releasing the leader of the Indian Nationalist Party from jail the British government has opened a new phase of the political situation. When the recent Round Table Conference adjourned the Indian potentates left London apparently well satisfied with the new freedom, restricted though it is, that has been given.

However, with the release of the radical Indian Congress chiefs by the Viceroy there is every indication that a left wing will be formed which will strongly oppose the findings of the Round Table Conference. If England does not grant general amnesty to all political prisoners, if the boycott of British goods is continued, and if Gandhi decides to renew his former opposition and seek complete liberty or none, then the negotiations that have filled the last few months have accomplished little.

There is no reason to believe that England's intestine troubles have been concluded, despite the fact that she has shown more liberality in her treatment of the Indian problem than was expected in many quarters. The greatest difficulty with which she is confronted is the Indian temperament. The followers of Gandhi are so constituted that Western materialism and its dubious benefits have slight appeal for them. If poor living conditions and widespread illiteracy are the prices to be paid for foregoing the mechanization of her civilization and continued British exploitation, India is willing to pay the price. The next few weeks will determine whether the Nationalists are prepared to accept the proffered semi-freedom. As the matter now stands the idealism of millions and the tranquillity of the British Empire is in the hands of Gandhi.