UNIVERSITY PRESS WILL ISSUE NEW BOOKS SOON

HARVARD TUTOR WRITES STORY OF "THE MATCHLESS ORINDA"

"Poetry and the Criticism of Life," by H. W. Garrod, and "The Matchless Orinda," by P. W. Souers, instructor and tutor in the Department of English, are two volumes which the Harvard University Press will issue early in February, it was announced yesterday at Randall Hall.

The volume by Professor Garrod includes all the lectures he delivered last year at Harvard, when he held the Charles Eliot Norton Chair of Poetry. It contains his lecture on "Poetry and the Teaching Office," in addition to studies of Matthew Arnold, Emerson, Arthur Hugh Clough, and Robert Bridges' "Testament of Beauty." The last-mentioned lecture was also given in New York City a year ago, at the request of Harvard graduates living in that city, and with the cooperation of the Clarendon Press.

Dr. Souers'work is the biography of Mrs. Katherine Philips, the first woman in the history of English literature to gain a reputation as a poetess. The life of this writer, who was a leader in the social and literary life of the Commonwealth and Restoration, has furnished her biographer with material for an interesting volume. Dr. Souers has also incorporated in his work the critical consideration of Mrs. Philip's poetic output.

The University Press will also release in the near future Professor H. E. Rollins' edition of "The Phoenix Nest," one of the best of the numerous verse anthologies published in the Elizabethan age. He has already edited several other anthologies of the period, in addition to four volumes of the Pepys ballads.