THE GHOSTS OF CHANGE

Dr. Hamilton Holt optimistically states his beliefs in regard to the future of education as typified by Rollins College, in an article appearing in today's CRIMSON. The basis of the system, consisting of two hour supervised study periods, is outlined in the article. The educational principle involved is that of absolute freedom for the individual in determining his field of intellectual foraging for knowledge.

That Rollins College has been successful would be admitted by anyone who has been in touch with its record. The zeal for mental effort and advancement displayed by the students is well known in educational circles. And it is equally certain that the success is attributable neither to the basis of the system nor to the educational principle, but to the active leadership of the president. This is a fundamental distinction.

If one might cast the sceptical eye at the Florida institution and visualize it a number of years hence, it must be confessed that it does not hold the promise suggested by its present brilliant success. Primarily, any venture of this type depends upon an immediate vigorous leader whose judgment of teaching ability is not limited by customary scholastic standards. This function Dr. Holt fulfills. But under a man of more limited human qualities it is easy to see that mere second rate teachers, or worse, job seekers, may take the place of the present professors.

If, as it seems entirely possible, the Rollins experiment goes the way of all flesh and suffers from the lack of that vital infused spirit which transcends all systems, there could be no more stringent method of education than Dr. Holt's. For at Rollins, through the organization of the curriculum, the student is given less responsibility for the planning of his own life than at some of the older and more dreary colleges. And however deadening routine intellectual methods may be, the routine of actual living is more mentally stultifying. It is also conceivable that under less stimulating teachers, Rollins College may experience the same danger which Harvard came within an ace of encountering under the free elective system--, namely the pursuit of single subjects to the exclusion of liberal education. When inspirational leadership dies, the mass of students will study for the material benefits of knowledge.

Undoubtedly, in an idealistic sense, Rollins College, has the right principles. The consistent assimilation of various foundations to culture, and the privilege of the individual approach are substantially sound. But optimism continually meets defeat by failing to recognize the limitations of the majority. AE Rollins, as elsewhere, the true education will finally come to him, who, realizing the limitations of a system ordained by and for the majority, sounds out the broad channels of knowledge by preparing himself wisely and setting forth alone.