Multimedia

In Photos: Harvard’s 373rd Commencement Exercises

Rabbi Zarchi Confronted Maria Ressa, Walked Off Stage Over Her Harvard Commencement Speech

Former Harvard President Bacow, Maria Ressa to Receive Honorary Degrees at Commencement

‘A’ Game: How Harvard Recruits its Student-Athletes

Interim Harvard President Alan Garber Takes the Political Battle to Washington

NEW COURSE TO BE GIVEN BY ENGINEERING SCHOOL

COURSE GIVEN FOR FIRST TIME THIS FALL

A new course in aerodynamics and hydrodynamics is announced at the Harvard Engineering School, to be given by Dr. J. P. Den Hartog this fall for the first time. The course involves the study of the flow of fluids and of air with special reference to airplanes and airships. Dr. Den Hartog is head of the Dynamics Section of the Westinghouse Research Laboratories at East Pittsburgh, Pa.

Besides the applications of the material of the course to aeronautics, certain features in the design of hydraulic turbines and propellers, and the vibration of electric transmission lines caused by wind will be included. Due to its fundamental character, this course is required as a part of the program of all mechanical engineers in the Engineering School, but it is open to students in other fields.

This course is closely coordinated with another to be given during the second half year on the subject of mechanical vibrations, having as lecturers Mr. J. Ormondroyd of the Westinghouse Company and Mr. A. L. Kimball, Jr., of the General Electric Research Laboratories.

Both of these courses are part of the offering in the department of Applied Mechanics of the Engineering School, the work being given largely by means of lectures by prominent research and designing engineers, who are experts in their particular fields. They emphasize the growing importance of a more intense application of mathematics and physics to the analysis of problems of mechanical engineering and aeronautics.