80 MEN REPORT AT FIRST MEETING OF NATATORIAL TEAM

DeLima Only Important Loss Through Graduation--Wood Leads Squad of 1931 Season

About 80 men reported to Coach H. S. Ulen yesterday at the first meeting of candidates for the University and Freshman swimming teams. The squad will practice daily from 3 to 4.30 o'clock and for the first four weeks will be given special body-building work on the gymnasium floor. Coach Ulen used the time yesterday to outline the season's program and to explain the various strokes for the benefit of new men.

Prospects for the coming season are about the same as last year, it was stated by Ulen and Assistant Coach Robert Muir. The loss of W. S. De Lima, last year's captain, will be keenly felt, especially as little first-class material is expected from the 1934 Freshman team. With the exception of DeLima, on the other hand, last year's team is virtually intact and will provide a strong nucleus under the leadership of Captain B. S. Wood '33, of Honolulu. Wood was awarded a major "H" last year as a result of his winning the 440-yard championship in the 1931 Eastern Intercollegiate Swimming Meet.

Harvard was strong last year in the free-style races but rather weak in the specialty events. New material from last year's Freshman team is expected to correct this deficiency to some extent. Among the divers, R. G. Luckey '31 was lost by graduation but J. P. Duane '32 and Sidney Bluhm '32 are both back this year.