Army Eligibility

THE MAIL

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

May I commend your stand against further football competition for the present with the Army? Your point made against the loose eligibility rules now in force at West Point recalls my correspondence of some years ago with Mr. Lawrence Perry, a sports commentator notable for his impartiality and clear thinking. I stated to Mr. Perry that the Navy's stand on the eligibility question at the time of the Army-Navy break was better taken and far more sportsman like than West Point's; and that the latter's attitude was tantamount to saying "We will kick off from midfield; you, opponent, will kick off from your twenty yard line". Mr. Perry's reply was in effect that no one need schedule the Army team under compulsion, and that only refusals by opponents to play under the circumstances would break what properly has been termed the obdurate attitude of the Army officials. The CRIMSON favors such refusal by Harvard and is I believe entirely justified. Others would follow her example until a fair eligibility code would be adopted perforce by the Military Academy. George F. Root, 3rd.   Princeton, 1911.

New York City.