Rodeo Games

THE PRESS

Although Big Ton officials have thus far remained silent on the manner in which charity football games will be played this fall, Eastern colleges, urged on by the national unemployment committee of President Hoover, have agreed to stage a football rodeo to take place in New Haven and New York. Each game will be for 20 minutes and an active day of football games is planned for the spectator.

Under present circumstances, it is not altogether improbable that the Big Ten might adopt a plan similar to that in the East. It would simplify matters as far as numbers is concerned, and would probably alleviate considerable preparation on the part of the various schools. Yet, it would probably not be as remunerative as individual charity games would be. In addition, under the Big Ten system, the charity games will undoubtedly be used to determine the championship, inasmuch as it would seem several teams are offering rather strenuous competition.

The Eastern system of 20-minute games would make it impossible to determine accurately the standing of each team. Dissatisfaction would be bound to arise on either side. Financially, too, it seems impracticable to hold the abbreviated style rodeo games. Games in five centers of the Big Ten would certainly attract larger attendance than the rodeo in one or two centers.

Big Ten schools are sufficiently well-equipped with large capacity stadia to make five games profitable. It the championship of the Middle West, perhaps of the nation, is to be decided in a charity game, why not make it a full game and give the spectators their money's worth?

The Eastern system is probably well-suited to conditions in the East. Indications are, however, that it would be a mistake for the Big Ten to attempt a duplication. Daily Illini