POLLOCK TO SPEAK FOR SCHOOL OF THE DRAMA

Well Known Playwright will Lecture on Theatre Audience--Advocate of Idealism in Drama

Channing Pollock, well-known play-wright and lecturer, will speak on Thursday at 4 o'clock in Harvard 1 under the auspices of the Cambridge School of the Drama. Pollock, who is the author of "The Fool" and other plays of controversial nature, will take as his subject "Does the theatre audience expect the drama to reflect life?" This lecture is the first of a series which is being sponsored by the school this year and will be open to all members of the University.

Since his writing of "The Fool" Pollock has become one of the stormy petrels of the American theatre. Wherever his plays are produced they serve to stimulate a great deal of discussion and controversy, while his lecture audiences are invariably divided among themselves in regard to his views. In general he has long been an advocate of a clean theatre and of sentiment and idealism in the drama. In upholding those views he has become involved in controversies which have made him a nationally known figure.

"The Fool" ranks with "Abie's Irish Rose" and "Lightning" in box office records and outside of New York has probably created more discussion than any other play by an American author. Shortly after its run, Pollock toured the country, delivering 1063 speeches in the course of 13 months. He has been heard in many colleges and clubhouses throughout the country.

Pollock is also author of "The House Beautiful," which opens at the Plymouth Theatre in Boston next week