SCHOLARSHIP AND BRICK

The further limiting of the loans and aids for needy students brings to mind one of the most immediate problems facing Harvard. There will undoubtedly be more demands for aid this year because of the general financial stress. Instead of adding to the funds for helping men, the Committee on Scholarships and other Aids is attempting to stretch the existing funds to meet the increased needs. The method adopted is to assign the amounts according to scholastic attainments. Although formerly exceptional scholarship was not necessarily taken into account in the distributing of loans, students are now confronted with the necessity of making high grades as well as supporting themselves.

While the cost of living throughout the world has been going down, that at Harvard has gone up. With the opening of the houses the price of both rooms and board has been considerably increased. Many students have had their incomes cut down in the last two years and will need financial assistance if they are to remain in college. The boast has been made that no worthy student need leave Harvard for lack of funds. If this is to hold true, some addition must be made to the present funds.

There are always people who are willing to give money for the laying of brick on brick. There ought to be some also willing to contribute to scholarship and loan funds, upon which depends not the comfort of men in college but the possibility for some of coming to Harvard at all.