HARVARD, OXFORD DEBATE BY RADIO

Two Crimson Debaters to be Selected from Squad of Seven Chosen in Radio Audition Recently

Following recent auditions in the studio of station WBZ in Boston, a squad of the Harvard Debating Council was selected yesterday from which two men will be chosen to represent the University against the Oxford debaters in December. The meet will be the first intercollegiate debate ever held over the radio between different countries and will be broadcast over an international network both here and abroad. The Harvard team will be picked within two weeks from among the following men: P. H. Cohen '32, C. L. Harriss '34, M. A. Hoffman '34, A. E. Phillips, Jr. '34, P. C. Reardon '32, J. H. Ruskin '33, and D. M. Sullivan '33.

Use Short-Wave Apparatus

Speaking from the studios of the National Broadcasting Company in New York, the University debaters will clash with the Oxonians in the London studios of the British company. The speeches will be conveyed across the Atlantic in each direction by short wave transmission and then rebroadcast in both countries. Assurances are forth-coming from the N.B.C. officials that, although trans-oceanic radio programs are still in their infancy, only the most severe electrical disturbances can interfere with satisfactory reception.

The program will last about an hour and the entire cost, amounting to about $35,000, will be borne by the National Broadcasting Company. The challenge of the Harvard council and its acceptance by the Oxford debaters were kept a closely guarded secret pending a preliminary announcement yesterday by the N.B.C. No definite date has been set for the meet but it will take place during the first week in December and will be heard in Cambridge in the afternoon or early evening.

The subject of the debate has been tentatively chosen as, "Resolved, That in the interests of world prosperity, the war debts should be cancelled." The question was chosen expressly for this debate by G. W. Wickersham, former Attorney-general of the United States and chairman of President Hoover's commission on law enforcement. Since the Harvard team was the challenger, Oxford will have the choice of sides and presumably will choose the affirmative.