INTERNATIONAL COUNCIL HOLDS INITIAL MEETING

UNDERGRADUATE ATTENDANCE IS ENCOURAGED

At the first meeting of the year for the International Council, held last evening in the parlor of Philips Brooks House, a group of about 40 students, of 20 nations, held a lively discussion on the present state of affairs in Germany. The Council is the international affairs discussion group, and will meet at intervals of three weeks throughout the winter. Effort is being made to encourage the attendance of undergraduates at these meetings, which have in the past been comprised of graduate students.

Ulrich Kersten grL, a German student, provoked a considerable opposition and exchange of views as he treated the German situation. Some, of the questions treated included that of Germany acting as a block for the west against the advance of the Russian system; the Hitler movement caused further discussion; in Czechoslovakia the large number of Germans included in this young nation provoked opinions on minority difficulties; comparison was made between tax burdens by citizens of England, France, and Germany.

The following countries were represented at the meeting: Abyssinia, Albania, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, China, Czechoslovakia, Denmark, England, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Japan, Phillipine Islands, Poland, Russia, Sweden, Turkey, and the United States.