FRIEZE ON UPPER WALL OF NEW BIOLOGICAL LAB IS UNIQUE DECORATION

MAMMALS PORTRAYED AT INDO-ASIATIC AND HOLARTIC LANDS

One of the most unusual and attractive features of the huge new Harvard Biological Laboratory, which is now rapidly nearing completion, is the carved frieze on the outside upper walls of the structure. This unique decoration, made possible by the extraordinary skill of Miss Catherine Lane, sculptor, depicts the geographical distribution of mammals on the earth's surface.

On the outside walls of the central portion of the laboratory appear the figures of animals native to the Ethiopian region of central Africa. Figures of beasts of Indo-Asiatic and Holactic habitat are carved on the walls of the long wing in two balanced groups. The central carving in the Holactic group is placed in the same relative position as that occupied by the Indo-Asiatic leopard in the other group. The short wing will be incised with figures of neotropical mammals. The remainder of the space available for carving will be used to represent the principal animals to be found in Australia.

The work on this project is being carried out in a unique type of L-cut technique, which has seldom before been used. Preliminary to the actual carving, pictures one-third the size of the figures were drawn. From these enlarged stencils were made and chalked on the walls. Then special pneumatic drills in the hands of expert workment under the supervision of Miss Lane were used to carve the striking animal murals in the red brick.

The laboratories and technical equipment of the building are the best that modern science can produce. A large greenhouse will occupy the roof of the structure, with special water tanks for raising rare aquacious plants