PROFESSOR P. A. SOROKIN SATISFIED WITH NEW SOCIOLOGY DIVISION

Is Writing a Systematic Book on Rural Sociology

"The success of the sociology department last year, and the satisfactory start that it has made this year, is due largely to the generous co-operation and the competent guidance of the Department of Economics, the Committee on Social Ethics and Sociology, and of President Lowell and Dean Moore," Professor P. A. Sorokin of the sociology department said yesterday in an interview. "My personal role in its creation has been a very modest one, and I have been a mere "go-between, and no more." Taking into account, he explained, that this is the first year that courses have been given formally under the name of sociology, our expectations have been far exceeded in that as many as 60 students have enrolled for concentration.

"All in all," Professor Sorokin declared, "the department seems to me to be in a satisfactory situation, for the fact that articles on the subject have appeared all over the country as well as on the continent, shows how much interest has been aroused in the department, and how significant the opening of the new department is, Many universities and colleges such as Yale and Vassar have commenced to organize departments, now that they have seen how successful Harvard has been, and at Columbia, where the whole department had practically disbanded, expansion of the same has started. German and Italian universities are now planning to introduce sociology, and the Revue International de Sociology, Kolner Vierteljaharshefte fur Soziologie, and the Czesca Sociologicka Revue have published the details of the Harvard department, for," Professor Sorokin added, "the Harvard department is already recognized as a sociology department second to none."

On being asked what books he is writing, he replied, "That is my malady, you know, I am always writing books." At the present, he continued, he is still working on "A Systematic Source Book in Rural Sociology" in collaboration with C. C. Zimmerman and C. J. Galpin, for the United States Department of Agriculture, the third volume of which will be ready sometime this fall. His book entitled "Contemporary Sociological Theories," published in 1928, has already been translated into German and Chinese, and is now in the process of being translated into Japanese, Czecho-Slovakian, and Yugo-Slavian. At the present time, three-quarters of the work of translating Professor's Sorokin's "System of Sociology" from Russian into English has been done by Dr. Sharol of Columbia, and the book will be published by Harper sometime in 1932. "Social Dynamics" will be the title of the three volume book which Professor Sorokin is now working on and plans to work on for several years, and which he regards as especially important, although in regard to the possible results of his efforts he remarked, "But it is likely to be nothing but a fool's errand.