Football For Fun, Not Fame

THE PRESS

At a period last year corresponding to the present date, the little college of Alfred, at that time unknown to the realm of sports writers, met the big Blue Team. The result of the mouse struggling with the mountain was inevitable: Yale ran up a score of sixty-six points, and, as if adding insult to injury, she sent in three complete teams to devour what was left of the carcass.

Alfred University went home, happy to have met with Yale, to have used into the Bowl, and to have been thrown into the limelight. She made some money, too. Yale, on the other hand, theoretically benefitted from the "breather." Her players were preserved from further injury; her full strength marshalled to repel the furious attack of the Princeton Tigers.

In much the same spirit Yale today meets St. John's. Little is known or cared to be known about her football strength; her record thus far is discouraging. On the books she should be annihilated. It should be another fiasco with the Blue not even getting as much out of it as a game with the Freshmen or the scrubs. This is the way Yale prepares for Harvard, which is getting ready for us by playing Dartmouth and Holy Cross on consecutive week-ends before the big game.

Linked by no ties of blood or tradition, Yale plays St. John's for the mere sake of having an opponent scheduled and of preserving her vitality for a contest two weeks away. Where is the good old "devil-may-care" spirit of a university. Which does not stoop to petty things, which plays football for the fun of playing the game, and not for the hope that she may prove herself a superior institution by defeating her adversary in athletics? --Yale Daily News