Fogg Museum Will Build Addition in 1932 to House Naumburg Art Collection

Fund Granted With Gift of Paintings to Provide for Housing--New Wing to Extend to Prescott Street

In order to house recent acquisitions and to satisfy a pressing need for more space, the Fogg Art Museum will build a new wing in 1932 extending from the present southward corner of the building to Prescott Street, it was disclosed yesterday. The addition will be three or possibly four stories high. It will contain several new rooms for display purposes and will offer increased library facilities as well as more space for research and special work.

By the terms of the Naumburg bequest of 1930, a rare collection of paintings and other works of art, together with the panelled room which housed the collection in the owner's residence, were given to the Museum. The sum of $125,000 was also bequeathed for its installation and maintenance. The new addition is to contain the Naumburg room which will be situated on the second floor and will be used as a sort of living room, corresponding to the Farnsworth Room in Widener Library.

"Quiet Restful Place"

"The Museum" Fogg officials declare, "will thereby be provided with a quiet, restful place where students may read and discuss Art at their leisure."

The coordination of such an addition with units already complete and varying among themselves is a delicate piece of planning. The many details that enter into the construction of an art museum and especially one for University use, from cork floors to linen wall coverings, for example, will involve a series of many conferences between, the architects, Coolidge, Shepley, Bulfinch and Abbott and the directors, Dr. A. W. Forbes '95 and Professor P. J. Sachs '00.