Harvard Defeat in Heated 1894 Struggle Laid to "III-Luck And Bad Decisions--Substitutes for Substitutes Go In"

Echoes of days when feeling ran high are heard in a Crimson article for November 26, 1894, which gave the following version of the game that year, under the heading: "Yale Wins the Game; Harvard plays the Better, but Loses Through III-Luck and Bad Decisions." A two-year hiatus in the series with the Blue ensued.

"Yale defeated Harvard at Hampden Park, Springfield, Saturday by a score of 12 to 3 in one of the hardest fought contests in the history of football.

"Harvard clearly outplayed her opponent at every point; in team work, in punting and drop-kicking, and, in many cases, in individual playing. Yet Yale, by a combination of good luck, and questionable decisions of the officials of the game, not only defeated Harvard but had some points to spare...

"The game was remarkable for the number of casualties. Players on both sides were constantly disabled. Harvard had to go so far as to put substitutes in some of the most important positions.

"...The crowd was as large as last year and vastly more enthusiastic, and for once Harvard outdid Yale in cheering.

"...The ball hit the cross-bar and Butterworth caught it, and was thrown back of the goal by Waters, thus making a safety. This did not count, as Referee Reviard had thought it best to blow his whistle just before Butterworth fell."