INAXESSIBLE TROPHY

It seems that out in California they're all axing each other about a tough situation. Nineteen months ago, proud Stanfordites, the "21," took illegal possession of a traditional axe which was the rightful property of California, and by safely vaulting away, got the trophy into a bank. There, ever since, it has remained, while Stanford wonders what can be done about the matter.

Says the Stanford Daily, in reply to a letter in its columns, which suggests flaunting the axe at the big game against the Golden Bears. "Of course, Stanford is proud of the 21 who carried it off from under the very noses of the California guardians...But the time is not yet ripe for bringing out the axe." Whatever California wood, it will haft to take a back back: the Golden edge has departed.

Probably the greatest reason that Stanford argues for keeping the axe hidden is that her opponents could not Bear the cutting insult which would result from such uncalled for display. "There is too much to be risked for so little gain in taking the Axe out of the vault this year." Such a statement is almost an axiom. Whosever vault it is, the reaxion of California would be more than keen. Would men not spare their opponents' feelings, the situation might become un-Bearable.