MEN WITHOUT WOMEN

The House Plan has brought with it a new kind of social life still in its formative stage. It is one of the factors on which the ultimate success of the Houses will depend. If this social life is to be fostered and developed, some change must be made in the Parietal Rules which control it.

One of the Houses has already made its own regulations whereby a resident in this House after registering with the secretary may now take girls into his room between the hours of two and seven without a chaperon. But in other Houses no such provision has been made. Students may have luncheon guests on Saturdays, but can not entertain them afterwards in their own rooms. If a resident wishes to have a few friends for tea, he is still required to have an approved chaperon. At present the question is being left to the individual House Masters. If this condition remains, it will only result in confusion and dissatisfaction.

The Parietal Regulations should be a matter for the Administrative Board to decide. They should be kept uniform for all the Houses, not different for each one. It is a necessity that some action be made to codify them and to relax them in some part to meet the new situation.