CODMAN WINS SINGLES ROWING RACE EASILY

Former New England, Henley Rowing Champion is Victor by Wide Margin as Weather Hampers Starters

R. S. Codman Jr. '19, former Harvard oarsman, and one-time New England champion, was the winner of the senior singles race yesterday in the final day of the first annual fall rowing regatta. Codman, the winner of the American Henley at Philadelphia in 1929 and runner-up in the nationals last year, was about a length ahead of W. I. Stuart '28, at the finish. The five other boats came in a considerable distance behind the two leaders, F. C. Bell '33 placing third.

Because of weather conditions the water on the basin was too rough for boating and the race had to be rowed on the three-quarter mile upstream course. The stiff breeze with which the oarsmen had to contend was responsible for the comparatively slow time of the winner. Codman was rowing for the Union Boat Club of Boston and Stuart for the Cambridge Boat Club.

The entire regatta was under the direction of Stewart French '28, sculling coach. For the last two days members of the University have been racing for minor titles, yesterday's contest being the only one in which outsiders were permitted to enter. William Raines, M. I. T., crow coach, was the referee of the senior singles race.