FRANKLIN D. ROOSEVELT.

Faint rumblings blazing the way to the political thunder of 1932 will be board in University circles today when Harvard Law School men ballot on the prohibition question and the desirability of Governor Franklin D. Roosevelt of New York for president. It is doubtful that prohibition voting at this late day will be significant in any other way than that the legal minds which framed the four questions are peculiarly weak in their knowledge of the constitutional obstacles in the way of repeal of the Eighteenth Amendment.

The candidacy of Governor Roosevelt, however, in far more important. Obviously not a political organ, the CRIMSON, considering the present circumstances of national government, feels strongly that Roosevelt is the only logical man as president of the United States i 1932. Its feelings are based not on the fact that he is a Harvard man, nor on the fact that he was once president of the CRIMSON, but because the man, the principles and issues which he represents, and the surrounding political atmosphere make him the most logical choice. Repeal of prohibition and "Roosevelt for President" are not interchangeable terms, though Al Smith, Rasokob and the intangible organization sponsoring today's ballot would have it so. Roosevelt as a man, which embraces his experiences, his background and his ideals, is the type now particularly appealing to America. The three issues for which he stands, a systematic curb on the water-power, trusts systematic planning for revival of business and intelligent steps to remove the recurrence of a depression like the present, and of course a modification of the present laws affecting prohibition, are the most salient in the country today.

Nor can his excellent political position be minimized. Idealism to succeed in politics must be tempered with a touch of realism. And there is no candidate who is in a better position to aid the country than the New York governor. He is a member of the Democratic party which, if the unanimous precedents of history count at all, is bound to be swept into power as the party out of office in a time of depression. While it is manifestly unfair to hold the Republican party responsible for the depression, that party has done incalculable harm, through its chief executive, by his Pollyannaish attitude or inability to admit the state of affairs throughout. And within the Democratic stronghold, no candidate is more impregnable. Roosevelt will be handicapped neither by the religious or dripping wet sentiments which ruined his predecessor. Owen D. Young is a symbol of that ogre, "Corporation," which is usually delirium tremens to the voter; Ritchie is too wet to appeal to the arid West and South; Baker is disliked in too many quarters; there is no one else.

In examining the man, his issues, and his favorable party connections, that CRIMSON is of the opinion that Franklin D. Roosevelt is the logical candidate to occupy the position of President and give to the nation at a time of utmost pressure a capable and intelligent leadership.