CRIMSON PRESENTS ITS REVIEWS OF 21 HALF COURSES

Guides Have Had Hearty Reception From Students--Will be Continued in Succeeding Issues of Paper

The Crimson continues the ninth annual Confidential Guide to Courses, reviewing in this issue courses offered by the Faculty of Arts and Sciences during the second half year.

The Guide, which does not attempt to it a complete survey, will be continued is tomorrow's issue. It represents only the opinions of a few upperclassmen on second semester courses which usually have a considerable enrollment.

Chemistry 15

No one who specializes to any extent in Chemistry should miss this course, although at times one seems to hear of nothing but the composition of the skate's blood and like subjects. The course is being presented this year by Professor Henderson, who is well qualified to explain the mysteries of biological chemistry. Chemistry 15 is required for premedical students, and makes a very good half-course for any man who does not care for laboratory work with his chemistry. Many important biological and physiological facts are explained from the chemical point of view, including the passage of a piece of steak from the mouth to its final resting place in the structure of the body and the unrivaled efficiency of the blood in preserving a constant alkalinity under various disturbing conditions. Course 2a is a prerequisite.

Fine Arts 1d

This is not an easy course. Any course that pretends to cover the history of the Fine Arts from the Middle Ages to the present time must of necessity be given in a very cursory manner, and leave the student with a mere jumble of facts.

Fine Arts 1d is no exception. With about 500 pictures to memorize by the time the final examination comes, and an average reading assignment of about 100 pages a week, not to mention a test every two weeks, it can easily be seen that the course is no snap.

However the course in to be strongly recommended to all students. For those concentrating in Fine Arts it is essential and for those in other fields it in the only comprehensive course in the history of the Fine Arts.

Professor G. H. Egell's lectures alone are worth the necessary work. There are few professors in the University who can compare with him in the brilliancy and interest of their lectures. He can even make one forget for the time the impending biweekly tears.

Fine Arts 4b

The early art of Ireland is a subject which would interest only a chosen few. It is obscure and difficult, and does not appeal to anyone who wishes merely a cultural background. However, for those who are interested in delving into the obscure, this course is the very best thing. Mr. Porter, though not a thrilling lecturer, knows more about the subject than perhaps anyone else.

Geography 1

This course is one well worth taking. It gives both a bird's eye view of Geography as a whole, and a foundation for further work in the field. It deals with agriculture and extractive industries, subjects interesting in themselves. Although the marking in Geography 1 is stringent, not much work is required. Emphasis is laid on thought rather than memory. Besides these advantages it offers an excellent way of passing off half of the science requirement.

Geography 21

Geography 21 is a course that should be required for all those concentrating in government as well as in Geography. It gives excellently the geographical reasons for political and social conditions. Professor Whittlesey, who is a good teacher as well as a thorough scientist, is able to clear up many of the fundamental questions of government. Although the course is limited, it is one which might be recommended to anyone at all interested in politics or political theory