CURRENT ADVOCATE IS FAVORABLY REVIEWED

BEST COLLECTION OF STORIES AND POEMS IN TWO YEARS

By O. E. Schoen-rene

Throughout the past year the Advocate has followed that nervous course which is the single inevitability open to an ambitions undergraduate magazine. It has made numerous half-promises and half-kept a few of them; it has expanded and contracted like a meglomaniac buceps; it has sought to include critical essays and controversial essays both local and general; it has from time to time experimented in cover set-ups;-- all this and much more with varying success. On the whole, the best that one can say of the Advocate is that it has been consistently alive and magnetic (however its choice of material): and that, I honestly add, is saying a good deal. (If you don't believe me, cf. all other college literary magazines).

Good Retrogression

In my day, the Advocate was in general less variegatedly ambitious: it published stories, poems and book reviews. In their Christmas number, the present Advocate has, in some degree, retrogressed--but they have qualified and justified their retrogression. To discard Latinization for a sentence or so, they have produced the best collection of stories and poems, and the best editorials that have appeared in the last two years.

The Advocate has tried and, being healthy and overstocked with red corpuscles, will try it often again: meanwhile, with the Christmas number, they have acquiesced to Advocate tradition both gracefully and with power, and have produced an excellent and amusing issue.