FISH CONSCIOUS

Not to be outdone by eastern centers of learning, where horse-shoeing has been reduced to a science, Stanford University announces a course in fishing. One would expect that the student would gain a thorough grounding in the art of tieing flies, in the maintenance of tackle, and in fly casting from the faculty of arts and sciences. Such an apparently logical deduction is wrong, for the prospective anglers are to be taught by the department of physical education. The delicate art of Isaac Walton becomes productive material in the hands of Lionel Strongfort and Earl Liederman. Perhaps next month's issue of "Breezy Stories" will carry in the bold type of a full page advertisement, "Become a man in 7 days with my new fishing course."

But if Stanford is to be given the benefit of the doubt, some ulterior motive must be found. Perhaps it is a subtle method of advertising the Golden State. "California" and "fish" are to become synomous. Again it may be hoped that men trained in this course will sometime prove that even the color-blind fish is not oblivious to the magnificent coloring of the California scenery.