COMMISSIONER OUTLINES POLICE FORCE METHODS

Is Having New Signal System Installed at Headquarters--Criminals Trailed When They Come to Boston

Boston Commissioner of Police Eugene C. Hultman, in an interview yesterday, described his, methods in dealing with criminals which caused Albert L. Brunker, of the Chicago Crime Commission to declare before the Boston City Club that if Hultman were police commissioner in Chicago he could "clean up the city."

When a criminal comes to Boston, according to Hultman, he immediately finds that he is being constantly trailed by the police. Any infraction of the law will insure his being locked up. This shadowing prevents the crook's getting a start in the underworld here; it upsets his morale, and discourages his stay. The roving auto patrols which have been almost doubled since Hultman became commissioner last May, place the thug in constant danger of being surprised at work or being picked up as a suspicious character.

A new signal system which Hultman is now having installed will enable head-quarters to reach any officer within five minutes. Under the existing method of reporting at boxes there is often a delay of as much as 40 minutes.