EIGHTY MEN COMPETE IN WINTER HANDICAP MEET

SKAIFE TAKES SHOT PUT, FIRST FIELD EVENT

Eighty men, including several from the Graduate Schools, turned out for the first day's events in the annual Winter Handicap Meet. This afternoon the rest of the events will be run off, starting at 2.30 o'clock.

The number of entries in the 70-yard high hurdles necessitated three preliminaries, which were won by J. C. Grady '33, E. B. Cole '32, and J. J. Hayes '34. Hayes romped home an easy winner in the finals, in the good time of 9.1 seconds. In the other two running events, R. P. Wesley '33 captured the mile in the fast time of four minutes, 28 seconds, and Robert Murphy '32 broke the tape in the 600-yard run in a minute and 18 seconds.

The shot put, won by R. A. Skaife '34 with a heave of 43 feet, 10 inches was the first field event of the day. H. W. Reid outclassed the field in the 35-pound weight throw, when he tossed the heavy hammer 52 feet, six inches. In spite of a handicap of one foot, ten inches. Otto Sutermeister had no trouble in winning the pole vault with a lead of 12 feet six inches. Then in the last event of the day, the class of 1934 cleaned up, Isadore Herman '34, J. J. Healey '34, and A. P. Bonney '34 winning the three places.

This afternoon the first event will be the broad jump, at 2.30 o'clock, which will be followed at 3.30 o'clock by the 50-yard dash finals, at 3.40 by the 1000-yard run, and at 3.45 by the 300-yard finals. Any member of the University may enter by enrolling at Dillon Field House before his event.

70-yard dash--First two men in each heat qualified. First heat--won by J. C. Grady '33; second, Newell Brent, Jr. '33. Time--9.4 sec. Second heat--won by E. B. Cole '32; second, D. B. Cheek '34. Time--10 sec. Third heat--won by J. J. Hayes '34; second, H. H. Caffe '31. Time--9.3 sec. Finals--won by Hayes; second, Grady: third, Cole. Time--9.1 sec.

One-mile run--won by R. P. Wesley '33; second, B. E. Estes '32; third, J. M. Fox '32. Time--4 min., 28 sec.

600-yard run--won by Robert Murphy '32; second, G. P. Rosen '33; third, J. B. White '34. Time--1 min., 18 sec.

Shotput--won by R. A. Skaife '34 (43 ft., 10 in.); second, G. W. Kuehn '33; (42 ft., 3 in.); third, J. J. Healey '34 (42 ft.).

35-lb, weight--won by H. N. Reid '33 (52 ft., 6 in.); second, R. A. Lumsden '34 (51 ft., 4 in.); third, D. J. Zinn '34 (47 ft., 9 in.).

Pole vault--won by Otto Sutermeister '32 (12 ft., 6 in.); second, G. F. Bennet '33 (11 ft., 6 in.); third, B. B. Smith 1G. Ed. (11 ft.).

High jump--won by Isadore Herman '34; second, J. J. Healey '34; third, A. P. Bonney '34.