AWARD PRIZES IN BOK COMPETITION FOR ADVERTISERS

Jury Chose Winners From Huge Field of Entries--Ten $1000 Awards Also Announced

At a dinner at the Faculty Club of the Harvard Business School last night the winners of the Harvard Advertising Awards for 1930 were announced, in the presence of 100 guests prominent, in the advertising field. At the same time Bernard Lichtenberg, vice president of the Alexander Hamilton Institute, announced plans of a special fund given to the Harvard Business School by the friends of the late Edward W. Bok. Part of the fund will purchase a portrait of Bok, and the income of the balance will be used to purchase books on advertising.

F. C. Kendall, publisher of "Advertising and Selling," was awarded a gold medal for distinguished Contemporary Service to advertising. He earned the medal by his courage in opening his magazine to controversial subjects of vital importance to advertising, and for presenting both sides fairly; for attacking the use of paid testimonials, and for founding "Advertising Arts," thereby presenting a medium for the expression of art in business. The second biggest prize winner was the firm of Batten, Barton, Durstine and Osborn, Inc., which won two $1,000 prizes, one of which was for the Electrolux Refrigerator Sales, Inc. Illustrating effective use of headline-titled: "As silently as Nature Makes Ice." Steinway and Sons was awarded one of the eight other $1,000 awards for its advertisement combining the elements of illustration, headline, text and type, titled "A Song for Parents." The jury which made the selections met at the Harvard Business School in January and examined over 10,000 advertisements.