THE BETTER 'OLE

The thorny prohibition problem has often been compared to the "untroubled" course which liquor regulation has taken in other countries. England seems to have been consistently a subject of envy among those opposed to the Eighteenth Amendment. A few months ago the Association against the Prohibition Amendment issued a pamphlet under the encouraging title, "England's Solution of the Liquor Problem." The view taken is typical of many advocates of repeal.

After a thorough research the Christian Science Monitor, tenacious dry supporter, has assembled facts which allegedly disprove the stand taken in this optimistic-pamphlet. It is claimed that the statement that brewers in England have cooperated in liquor regulation is based on propaganda circulated by the trade itself. Furthermore, the Monitor finds the consensus of opinion in England is that the present situation there is most unsatisfactory.

This report may appear to some destructive and not constructive, since many Americans doubtless feel that any other system is better than the present. But on the other hand, the findings, if correct, may be of great benefit. Like the Wickersham Report they make it less difficult to think clearly on the Prohibition subject. As is illustrated by the pamphlet mentioned above, many we reformers have been setting the British system up as the solution to America's most virus problem. It substantiated with the elements of truth, the results of this research discredit the English type of Houor regulation and command the impartial attention of wets as well as supporters of the Eighteenth Amendment.