Jefferson Laboratory to Undergo Renovation During Summer To Provide More Teaching Space--Remove Mezzanine Floor

In conjunction with additions to the scientific buildings at Harvard, which include the Institute of Biology, a new building for the School of Geography, and new Research Annex for the Jefferson Physical laboratory, plans have just been announced for construction work to be done next summer in the Jefferson laboratory itself. The structural changes consist chiefly in renovating the building to make it more practical for classes and increased equipment, and the construction of doorways connecting with the new annex.

In the basement of the building the present machine shops will be considerably improved, and enlarged, to provide for increased equipment. When they are completed these shops will occupy nearly all of the eastern end of the building.

On the first floor there will be space provided for a storage and preparation room for the material of the large lecture room. A new fireproof stairway will also be provided at this end of the building.

The most important of the features on the second floor will be the removal of one of the mezzanine floors, and the lowering of another to the level of the main floor. On this floor there will be a hallway running the entire length of the building, and offices will be constructed opening onto this passage. The elementary laboratory on the third floor will be divided into two parts.