The Storm Breaks

THE MAIL

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

It is a rare pleasure for the writer to find himself in accord with a CRIMSON editorial. But the careful comment in this morning's CRIMSON deals so well with an unpleasant subject that any further comment must be in the nature of compliment and complement.

There has been considerable discussion today in those mythical centers of the University where matters are discussed over the "anti-religious" attitude of the CRIMSON. I believe that I am correctly interpreting both the editorial and the large mass of opinion opposed to the erection of a memorial chapel in refuting this. Those maintaining that the building of a suitable chapel will be the precursor to a revival of religion at Harvard, even if they are right in their prediction, which I deny, damn their faith by admitting that it is dependent on brick and mortar. With regard to the place, the prospect of a tower higher than that of Memorial Hall to "balance" Widener Library suggests the balancing of a hippopotamus by a giraffe or another architectural nightmare like the balancing of the Indoor Athletic Building by the Lowell House Tower. (I would suggest that Memorial Hall by torn down and the Chapel erected in its place until the next war comes along. The plot of ground between Broadway and Kirkland Street might well be consecrated to a succession of memorials.)

The obvious answer to a discussion at this time is "What of It?" The Administration has long pursued the attitude of benevolent disregard of undergraduate opinion as well as of opinion of any sort. Its claim of paternal, royal, or even divine omniscience may in many cases be justified. Possibly it does, like Mother, Know Best. But in this instance it seems to the writer, the voice of the masses should at least make itself felt in protest. This, in other words, is a call to arms. When, fifty years from now, the "Memorial Chapel" stands with the still un-burnt Memorial Hall as a monument to uselessness, it should be known, that the present college generation, at least, was in opposition. I suggest a student committee to organize a vigorous protest as soon as possible and to cooperate with such alumni as also wish to raise their voices in opposition. M. Fred Loewenstein '32.