CRUFT ADDITION WILL BE OCCUPIED IN APRIL

BUILDING COST THE UNIVERSITY APPROXIMATELY $400,000

By the first week of April the majority of the Physics Staff and most of the graduate workers in Physics will have moved into new quarters in the Physical Research Laboratory now nearing completion.

The $400,000 structure will become a nucleus for the Physical Department, as it is being built as an extension to the Crufts Laboratory, and will be connected to Jefferson Laboratory by numerous passages, making it the center of one large Physical building. It will also be a center inasmuch as it will contain only studies, and private laboratories, in more than sufficient numbers to accommodate the Physical Faculty. There will be no classrooms, all of its four stories being devoted to private study and research.

Besides the private rooms or laboratories for 100 professors, tutors, instructors, and graduate workers, there will be an oak paneled library with adjacent stack rooms to house 8,000 physical books, and opposite to it a panelled conference room. In the basement, from which no windows lead, will be four special laboratories for experimentation in light and color. Here also will be a sound-proof room for work in sound, a room devoted to making vacuums, and two X-ray rooms. Two other X-ray rooms will be on the second floor and the four together will house the new $50,000 equipment recently donated to the college. On the second floor will be many dark-rooms and a chemistry laboratory.