SPANISH

Fulfillment of the language requirement remains the one really onerous restriction in the choice of courses at Harvard. In order to meet the requirement, hundreds of Freshmen and Sophomores sacrifice for elementary language study other courses in which they have some vital interest. Better preparation in languages at school is obviously the basic solution of the problem. At the same time, the difficulty would be obviated for many if knowledge of Spanish were put on a par with knowledge of French and German.

It is surely unreasonable to ignore the ability which some men have in Spanish and demand from them work in French or German. The demand is doubly unfair in the case of those who come from schools where German is not taught. German classes, excluded during the war under pressure of hysterical anti-Bocheism, have in many cases been replaced by Spanish. Particularly this is true in small Eastern and many Western high schools. While the lack of opportunity to study German is unfortunate, the University ought nevertheless to take the fact into consideration.

German and French are unquestionably more useful for advanced study in most fields than is Spanish. Their literature is probably richer. But Spanish is by no means devoid of cultural interest, and there is no basis for the supposition that every college man will want German for scientific or historical research. Knowledge of Spanish, moreover, is of unique value to those whose vocation will bring them into contact with Central and South America.

The teaching of languages is probably the greatest problem, theoretical questions aside, which faces college preparatory schools. The number of factors involved makes any immediate solution unlikely. This fact emphasizes the desirability of allowing credit for Spanish in satisfying the language requirements at Harvard. It would at least relieve those to whom, under the present rules, the requirement must he doubly irritating.