Fay Says Versailles Treaty is Not Violated by Proposed Austro-German Customs Union--Expects Opposition to Arise

"Neither the spirit nor the letter of the Versailles Treaty is violated by the proposed Austro-German customs union", was the opinion expressed by S. B. Fay '96, professor of History, in an interview with a CRIMSON reporter yesterday.

"The chief effect of this alliance on other countries", continued Professor Fay, "will be their indirect improvement through the bettered conditions in Germany and Austria. Moreover a precedent may be set for like unions, which appear the best solution to the tariff problem which the recent conference so signally failed in adjusting."

Professor Fay was then asked what objections would probably be brought forward against this customs alliance. "Opposition will arise on two grounds the one political the other economic", he replied. "The political objection will undoubtedly center on the assertion that the union is in contravention of Article 82 of the Treaty of Versailles, but this ground is unsound in view of the fact that both countries retain their sovereighty and separate political entity. However, many Germans and Austrians, remembering how the Prussian customs union helped to unite Germany politically into the German Empire, now hail this alliance as the first step toward a political union in the future; but such an "Anschluss" would need the consent of the League of Nations, which France and her satellites would almost certainly block."

"Internally both nations are very much in favor of the proposed union" said Professor Fay. "But there is one possible stumbling-block which may upset the whole apple cart and that is the alarm with which the Austrian Roman Catholics are regarding their probable subordination to the overwhelming number of Protestants in Germany. In Austria the Catholics form a large majority, while in Germany it is just the other way around. Monsignor Seipel is said to have hurried back from Switzerland to Vienna and declared that his followers will support the union only provided it is approved by those nations having most-favored-nation trade treaties with Austria. This innocent looking provision may make a troublesome stumbling-block to the ultimate acceptance and adoption of the customs agreement."