Hockey Leagues

THE PRESS

The spectacle of 13,000 Montrealers turning out for a hockey game between Harvard and McGill has prompted Canadian sportsmen to bemoan the infrequency of such international matches, and to start agitation for the formation of a hockey league to be composed of McGill, Toronto, Harvard and Dartmouth. After having subtracted the international glamor and the natural Canadian enthusiasm for the sport, the idea of closer hockey relations with Canadian teams still seems to be exceedingly worthwhile.

Hockey is undoubtedly the coming game. The interest is supported primarily by the professional games, but intercollegiate hockey is now able to stand on its own as one of the first four major sports. At Dartmouth we have not yet reached the point where the College will go to Boston, for instance, to see the team play, as is the case in some of the other eastern colleges, but the very fact that we now have a hockey rink testifies to the popularity of the sport and assures its permanency.

Negotiations are now under way among various athletic supervisors to arrange schedules that will include the Canadian universities. It was tentatively suggested that McGill, Toronto, Harvard and Dartmouth should work together in view of their comparative proximity. There seems to be no reason why Yale, Princeton, Queens and the University of Western Ontario and others should not eventually be worked into the arrangement. Over and above the fact that it would serve to rejuvenate collegiate hockey in Canada which has been swept aside by the professional and semi-professional interest, the introduction of Canadian hockey into American rinks would serve to heighten the competition in general and to make the game even better by virtue of the contact with Canadian techniques and enthusiasm. --The Dartmouth