CARVER CHALLENGED TO DEBATE BY SOCIALISTS

PUBLIC UTILITIES IS SUBJECT OF CONTROVERSY

An open letter to T. N. Carver, David A. Wells Professor of Political Economy, inviting him to defend in a public debate his views in opposition to public ownership of public utilities, was Issued yesterday by the Harvard Socialist Club. Either H. C. Broun '10 or Norman Thomas, both prominent members of the Socialist Party, will oppose Professor Carver if he is willing to accept the challenge, according to indications made by A. R. Whitman '34, president of the Socialist Club.

Whether or not Professor Carver will accept the challenge could not be ascertained last night. He has long been in the public eye as an advocate of conservatism and he has made frequent expressions for the press and periodicals on the subject of prohibition. He is well-known in the field of economics, the economics of agriculture in particular, and it has been learned from reliable sources that he was invited to consult with President Hoover before the latter made recommendations concerning farm relief.

The letter states that the club is under the impression that Professor Carver holds views opposite to the fundamental socialist principles of public ownership of utilities. Since he is a prominent ex- ponent of conservatism in politics, he is asked to defend his stand in a public debate.

The letter, signed by a the president of the Harvard Socialist Club, follows in full:

From your statements in the public press The Harvard Socialist Club is under the impression that you are opposed to the principle of public ownership of public utilities. Since this is one of the first steps in the development of Socialism, to which the American Socialist movement is pledged, we believe that it is of great importance that you as a leading exponent of conservatism in politics and economics should submit your views to public debate in opposition to one who will represent the Socialist point of view.

Therefore we formally challenge you to debate this subject, stated as you wish, with some person of prominence who agrees with the Socialist program.CHALLENGED BY SOCIALIST CLUB PROFESSOR T.N. CARVER