CARVER DECLINES THE SOCIALIST DEBATE TOPIC

SOCIALIST CLUB CONTINUES TO HOLD INVITATION OPEN

By (signed) T. N. carver."

Replying to the challenge of the Harvard Socialist Club for a public debate on the question of public ownership of public utilities, T. N. Carver, David A. Wells professor of political economy, said in a letter to the club that he declined the invitation.

The letter stated that the subject was not important enough to merit the expenditure of the energy necessary to prepare a public debate. Continuing, it said that pressing requirements of other projects prevented acceptance. Professor Carver refused to make any additional statements yesterday afternoon, declaring that the letter stated his position clearly and the next move fell to the Socialist Club.

Commenting on the answer received from Professor Carver, A. R. Whitman '34, president of the Socialist Club, declared that the matter was dead for the present at least. He said he could not agree with the stand taken on the importance of the public ownership, when the question concerns a necessity and not a luxury, and especially since it is becoming prominent as a national issue. Since Professor Carver is a recognized authority on economic questions, Whitman was of the opinion that his arguments made in public would be of great interest and value. He further stated that the invitation to debate will remain open and that he hoped Professor Carver will find it possible to accept at some time in the future.

The reply to the Socialist Club, signed by Professor Carver, follows in full:

"I do not think that the subject which you mention is of sufficient importance to warrant the expenditure of such energy as a public debate would require. Besides, I am very busily engaged with other projects. For these and other reasons I am afraid that I shall have to decline your invitation to debate.