FENDING OFF

The request on the part of certain graduates that they be allowed to use the Newell Boat House is sensible enough, but it is impossible to accept for several reasons.

Harvard has spent a great deal of time and money in developing athletic facilities which will answer the needs of all undergraduates. If the Athletic Association should grant Newell Boat House to this group of men, it would create an unfortunate precedent which might well destroy the efficacy of the present system. Other graduates would soon demand, quite justifiably, the tennis courts, or the swimming pool, or the gymnasium for their exercise. Because of the many students who already make use of this equipment it would be utterly impossible for the University to meet these demands without depriving undergraduates in some degree of what is their natural right.

Of more direct concern would be the effect on the crew squads. The time at which the graduates would occupy the Boat House coincides most unfortunately with the hour at which the University oarsmen are practicing. This would obviously result in much confusion and inconvenience.

Harvard maintains an efficient and expensive athletic system primarily for its students. In view of the fact that the value and enjoyment of that system would be seriously impaired if the request of these men were granted, Mr. Bingham has established the only sensible precedent by a refusal.