A DIPLOMATIC SERVICE

The Model League of Nations Assembly, whose meetings in Wellesley came to a close Saturday, is as interesting a method for gaining a knowledge of international problems as can be discovered among extra-curricular activities. It has the double advantage over objective study of at once submitting all conclusions to the harsh light of public debate and at the same time providing the possibility of a broad view on all subjects by the presentation of a large variety of arguments pro and con.

Future diplomats who attended the Assembly were able to put to the test their powers of argumentation and debate. Further valuable experience in developing patience and a diplomat's resignation to the inevitable apologetic prelude to every speech was also to be had in abundance.

The Model Assembly is frankly propaganda to persuade America to join the actual League. The propaganda has an honestly avowed purpose and as such is unassailable. Absence of American representation, however, has the natural result of focusing attention and sympathy on the European point of view on many questions where foreign opinion clashes with actual American diplomatic policy. This exaltation of what is in most cases English, French, and Italian purposes and the resultant casting into the shadow of American policies needs to be made apparent.

From a purely American standpoint this feature of the Model League is regrettable as tending too much towards an unhealthy intellectualism.